Re: Reblooming

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Reblooming
  • From: "Mike Sutton" suttons@lightspeed.net
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:58:40 -0700

Things rebloom here when it gets over 100.  Night time lows only get down to the high 70s and low 80s during summer rebloom, must be something else.  I don't think cold is too much of a factor in a lot of rebloomers, more like growing conditions, sunlight, moisture (or lack of it) soil ph. etc.  Most rebloom that I have observed happens when a plant that is prone to rebloom reaches the right rhizome size to bloom.......there is probably more to it but that seems to be the unifying factor, at least here anyway.  On that note..... we have a ton of stalks coming on in the seedling beds in addition to 5 of next years intros currently blooming.  L-66 is the mother of all reblooming parents here.  Just about every cross out of it in the seedling bed has at least one plant blooming right now or one sending up a stalk.  It doesn't matter what it is crossed with, it produces rebloom offspring.  Should have a L-66 x Romantic Evening blooming next week, hope it is nice.
Thanks for the input
Sincerely
Mike