Re: VERY RED

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: VERY RED
  • From: "nmogens" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:49:46 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, Pat Mitchell <corgilover@w...>
wrote:
"I thought there was no "true red" iris....I'm still on the trail of
a true red - not a brown/red."

Aren't we all!  I'd love to see a true red iris.  There's a simple
way to get one---just use DNA transfer techniques of those segments--
or that segment--of the chromosome(s) involved in producing the true
red color in some other irid--gladiolus, montbrecia and such.  Then
introduce those segments into a diploid TB, imbreed for the true red
color to show without the violet of current beardeds, then double the
chromosomes.

Of course, then one would have to go to work breeding for form,
substance, branching, growability, smoothness and clarity of color,
and that indefinable quality "charm."  Shouldn't take more than fifty
years and a million dollars or so.  Simple.

The only problem is, which chromosome(s)are those DNA segments on?
And would it matter where you tucked the transplanted sections in the
bearded iris?  I'm assuming the iris and the irid would have similar
sequences in similar chromosome sections for producing anthocyanin
colors.  But then, again, maybe not.  Might even be two or three
other problems to work around.

The remarkable thing about what I'm describing is--that it IS
possible.  I suspect, however, that a few other projects would take
priority--such as those for third world nutrition, inheritable
diseases in humans and our livestock and eliminating genetic
susceptibility to some common but devastating illnesses.

In the meantime I suppose we can enjoy DYNAMITE and PLAY WITH FIRE
for what they already are--sorta red, but red enough to enjoy--and
remarkably good garden subjects.

I'm not trying to make fun or be critical.  I really would like to
see the true red happen.  So would a lot of other people.  There is a
certain frustration in knowing it could be done--and very probably
won't be.

Neil Mogensen   z 6b/7a near Asheville/Hendersonville, NC