Re: Re: Pigment changes

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Pigment changes
  • From: "Sandra Barss" bardraj@hotmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 05:24:00 -0500

Well, I feel a lot better now.  Sorry Robert, but I really did not want it
be a virus.  We did have a lot of variation in the temperature when this
iris was blooming.

Chuck you talk about clones, so it is possible that this iris's rhizomes
will
keep this pigment.

Sandra
SE Manitoba
Zone 3

>From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
>To: iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Pigment changes
>Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 04:03:14 -0000
>
>--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, Sandra Barss <bardraj@h...> wrote:
> > I have never seen this happen before.  This is Chubby Cheeks (SDB) with
> > a little difference.
> > What would cause this type of pigment change ?
> >
> > Sandra
> >
>This sort of thing is more common then you think. I have recorded
>about 15 incidents in my garden so far this year, (took pics of them
>all). But then I have a lot of flowers to look at.
>This is an exmple of Chisma (spelling?). I see it as being caused by a
>error in gene seperation during growth so one gene is left out and
>another duplicated. This usuually  only shows in part of a flower but
>sometimes this change occurs farther down in the plant and a whole new
>plant is split off. I have documented a few of these, complete with
>photos of where the two different plants join a mother rhizome. The
>most dramatic is a red flowered plant split off of Apache Carpet which
>is yellow eith red eyelash spot. The red clone seems to be an MDB
>whereas Apache Carpet is a SDB.
>
>So far this year I have noted three new clones in my garden, and
>suspect a few others. Some plants are more susceptable to this then
>others, eg: broken colour varieties. At this moment I sem to have
>three clones of Batik. One very dark, almost black, with a few black
>streaks, looking much like my BC, B&W SDb. One is normal Batik, and
>another has 1/2 of each flower a normal Batik and one half a narrow
>plicata edge on white.
>I suspect the large number this year is related to weather variations.
>
>Chuck Chapman

Wireless Video Surveillance
http://us.click.yahoo.com/jWIEhC/90OGAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM