  • Subject: [iris-photos] SPU:culture
  • From: Patricia Wenham h.schinkep@verizon.net
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 05:44:00 -0700

Your spuria iris are beautiful and look very healthy.  Could you tell us
more about their culture, please?  I ordered some this year and really
need more information on them as I have only grown one spuria in the
past.  It loved the sandy loam and arid climate with cold, windy winters
in USDA zone 5 where it grew on a bank which got very little water and
had excellent drainage. It was an old iris and extremely hardy.  The new
ones will be more recent hybrids and I suspect they will be a bit more
finicky about their environment.  I am currently still in arid USDA zone
5 but our soil here is less sandy and we get more snow cover in winter
than we did 104 miles north of here where I grew my one and only spuria.
 Any help you can give me (and others too I suspect) would be greatly

USDA zone 5 in arid central WA State

Wireless Video Surveillance