Re: Sino-Sib: 'Witt's Forty'

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Sino-Sib: 'Witt's Forty'
  • From: ROBERT PRIES pries@prodigy.net
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:39:20 -0700 (PDT)

No Problem, so you know, there are literally hundreds
of species crosses and species that have been going
around for years under garden names. I tried my best
to include all these in the SIGNA checklist. But this
is why I promote registration so strongly. It would
have made my job of recording so much easier. I am
most interested in producing a document that is
relatively complete, not just politically correct. The
Pacific Coast Iris Society is the only other checklist
that has made an effort to record unregisterd
varieties. The one area in which I have drawn a line
is entries under number, whether it be collection
number, seedling number, or some other contrivance.
And even on this point I have conceded to include a
very few that have been used in hybridization and
distributed for many years. So Witt’s forty would
certainly be welcome and I am sure that Jean Witt
would be delighted that one of her seedlings has
persisted in several gardens. Yes I would appreciate
everyones help in assembling pictures. The larger the
better and I can crop them as needed. One note I
believe the work I am doing is to provide a reference
for Irisarians. Although publishers supposedly retain
rights to photos, it is my belief these should be the
rights of the photographers, so everyone will retain
their copyrights, and only be granting them for use on
this project, and all photos will be noted as to there
owners. I would be happy to receive both photos that
you might wish to reserve for this project and those
that you are willing to share with the group. Photos
sent directly will be reserved for this special use.