Re: Historic NOID; Pat's 'Indian Chief'

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Historic NOID; Pat's 'Indian Chief'
  • From: "David Ferguson" dferguson@cabq.gov
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:03:15 -0000

I have lots, and lots, and lots of 'Indian Chief'.  Not sure how I
ended up with so many (for one thing it grows like crazy), but I
think I got it as a hand-me-down several times, in addition to buying
it at least twice (thought it died out the first time, boy was I
wrong).  Anyway, I've noticed that, as with most Iris, there is some
variation from flower to flower, even on the same stalk, and flowers
produced early in the season (at least for me) are often smaller,
darker, and have more substance than the last flowers produced (even
on the same stalks).  Think it has a lot to do with the weather,
which usually starts out cool in early TB season, but by the end of
the season is quite hot.

I would also vote for 'Indian Chief' yours Pat, but only
tentatively.  It looks like the flower might be slightly deformed
(perhaps the plant is a bit stressed, or not fully settled in????).
Perhaps the ID will be more certain after next year's bloom?

Good luck,