My oldies

  • Subject: [iris-photos] My oldies
  • From: "Linda Weaselhead" <rolling@ronan.net>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 11:15:08 -0600

Here's the story of my oldies.  Back in 1996 or 1997 I was at a local place that sold trees and plants.  The woman sold out of her place and was the second generation to do so.  In one corner she had small pots with a piece of Iris in each one for $.25 each.  We were renting waiting to get a "homesite" from the Tribe.  We lease
 2 1/2 acres for $125 a year and the Tribe put in the well and sewer.
We have the corner of a grazing plot and we had to put up the fence.  The soil is clay on top of boulders and I'm in zone 4, NW Montana.  The first year I planted a large L shaped flower bed with all kinds of things and only the Daffodills and Iris made it.  Mice ate all the other bulbs and other things just died.  The Iris did not bloom for several years until one year after I sidedressed with manure and mulched with woodchips.
Last summer I took flowers to the local Iris show and there was a class for judges and I found out the names of all but one of my Iris.  Can't find the list right now but will send pictures with names that I remember.  I really enjoy all your pictures and if I ever have the money want to get some newer Iris.  For now I only work 12.5 hours a week so $$$ are short.
The new Iris I got are also oldies, a woman in SC sent them to me for the cost of postage!  Here's a list of them:

Lenten Prayer

Tennessee Gentleman

French Rose

Merry Ripple (2)