Re: Bearded seedling/ Kind Hearted

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Bearded seedling/ Kind Hearted
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 17:26:58 EDT

In a message dated 6/6/2004 11:11:22 AM Central Daylight Time, hensler@povn.net writes:

I want to keep (wire rim and veining) and getting rid of the ones I don't (the mustard beards have to go!) will be a challenge. Ideas anyone?

Navaho Jewel has an almost imperceptible silver wire rim surrounding the standards and is the same color family as your standards on "strangling".

The photo Engstrom posted of Confederate Royalty shows a coloring in the rim of the standards that I had had not noticed in other photos of CR nor here. This may have been a light/photo anomaly.

The greatest amount of metallic glint here is found in Magic Show, Robert's 97-96a, and Kind Hearted.

Magic Show is more variable in its _expression_ of "glint" than the other two for me. The glint in Magic Show appears to be a result of its production of a margin on the standards that is composed of outer "skin" from each side of the flower petal devoid of tissue between the two. The resulting glint from diamond dusting associated with the "skins" exterior (speculation on my part). Of the other two (KH and 97-96A) the metallic glint appears to be overlaid on the petal surface and tissue between the skins normal.

So, given to excesses as I am, I would likely try your seedling on all of them. If I were choosing only one it would be on Kind Hearted partially because of the blue tints in falls but mostly because it seems to possess the trait to a degree on both the standards and falls. I would likely let the resulting seedlings determine my next step rather than try to predict in advance an outcome.

Wilkerson reports a "glint" to the veins in her Gilded Cream and Keppel's Quandary shows colored edges. So I would also think these to perhaps have merit in the process. As a point in passing, I had a successful cross of these two this year.

There are likely as many ideas as people messin' with irises. Me? My ideas are usually wrong but I always like the results..... more irises and more directions to ponder.

Bill Burleson

KH standard detail                KH fall detail

Kind Hearted

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links