Re: Bearded seedling

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Bearded seedling
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 19:58:24 -0400

Try CRAZY FOR YOU, which is looking like a really good iris here.  And
fertile both ways for me, its first spring here.  No wire rims that I
recall, but compatible stripes and wide hafts.

I like your kid - nice stripes.

One of this year's old fashioned "experiments" had those same glittering
rims - visible down the row, looking like metallic edging glittering in
bright sunlight.  First time I'd ever noticed that on an iris.  This is
one that matches what you describe, Bill, as having just the front and
back translucent 'skin' of the petal with no pigmented mid layer of
cells.  Like you, I think the metallic shine must be an optical effect
of the structure - up close, they look like nothing good.  More like
dead tissue than a pretty shiny rim.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8