Sharon's pink question

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Sharon's pink question
  • From: "David Ferguson" <manzano57@msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 02:02:58 -0600
  • Seal-send-time: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 02:02:59 -0600

I've always had generally poor luck with pinks and oranges. They tend to rot out for me, and not to grow well.  Not true for all of them, but I only have two true pinks and one orange in the garden now, and I've bought plenty more (I didn't dig them out either).

The one orange is doing OK, and might be 'Montevidio' or 'Glazed Orange' (I've planted both).  This orange tends to go in a boom and bust cycle, with strong growth for a few years, then one good bloom season, and crashes to near extinction.  Then it recovers again from a few last small tubers.

The best pink is an old one with old fashioned form, and while I've had it only a few years, it is great.  This is 'One Desire'.  The other pink is a ruffly BB with an orange beard, and I don't have a clue the name of it; however, it is a strong grower and blooms like crazy every year (early).  One of these days I'll post a photo of it, and maybe somebody will recognize it?

Another one bloomed this year, received as 'One Desire' but not, and it may be a strong one too.  It looks a lot like pictures of 'Cherie' or 'Hit Parade' to me, but I don't know what it really is.  It is pale and washed out looking next to 'One Desire', but it might be nice if moved to it's own spot away from such stiff competition.

Admittedly, there are probably many strong good ones out there that I haven't grown.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links