RE: gypsum (iris nutritional requirements)

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] gypsum (iris nutritional requirements)
  • From: "Harold Peters" <harold@directcon.net>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:20:56 -0700

The Santa Rosa Iris (and eating) Society did a scientific study of the entire question of fertilizing irises. They even developed their own fertilizer blend. The Region 14 Bulletin had a least one intermediate report of the results to that point. (Sorry I don't know the issue and my files are not organized so that I can find it in a reasonable time frame.) The study is now considered complete but very unfortunately the principle person involved died recently and before the final results were written up. I suspect some outside interest might persuade someone else to prepare the final report. (This was a round-about way of  saying I don't have a good answer to the question of the best way to provide calcium and sulfur.)

I do know that limestone is a good source of soluble calcium. There are foliar fertilizer formulations that contain calcium. The  commercial 15-15-15 fertilizer sold at the local fruit growers association has 10% sulfur. I fertilized my entire iris planting this year with the15-15-15-10 and the plants never looked nicer. I had a smidgen of rot but it was very tolerable since the weather was dry and the problem went away on its own.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762