Re: HYB: umbrata

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: umbrata
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:58:21 -0400

That was great, Bill!  Thanks for going to all the trouble of
illustrating the confusion.  Helps a lot.  Like you, for some reason, my
brain tries to shut down when it hits IsubS, although I think I'm
starting to get some of it straight.

Re: SURRENDER - I have always thought of it as being an oddball plicata
with 'gilt' shoulders.  Here, the standards are a very pale pink when it
first opens, the upper part of the falls have a very pale yellow wash
'spot', and the falls are lightly dotted and striped pale purple.

When I first saw the photo you posted, I thought it was mislabeled, but
looking closer, I recognize it as being the same.  Just much more
strongly pigmented than I have ever seen it.  Until we had a cool wet
spring, I had thought it was more or less a white iris with gold haft
veining.  The pink, yellow, and plicata dots are very subtle here most
years.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/2gGylB/TM