Re: HYB: umbrata (longer)

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Re: HYB: umbrata (longer)
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:13:18 -0400

Bill Burleson stepped in and was very helpful in the "Umbrata" question.  I sorta fell off the edge the last several days--for a variety of reasons--and have been out of touch.  I still have good intentions of posting some photos which may even add further to the confusion.

Bill said something in the (longer) post which helped me realize something.  Linda's originial use of "Umbrata" was to describe something visual.  I picked up and used the term for something genetic, rather that just visual.  There is a continuity between those with darker fall anthocyanin overlays *without* bordering bands and those with.  There are even some where the pattern is reduced to a band across the area of the fall.

At least as it grows here, 'Romantic Evening' either has no band or only the barest suggestion of one on some blossoms, which I usually attributed to weather.  In the cross of ('Swingtown' X 'Romantic Evening') the following are some of the resulting seedlings.  The first is the one now registered as 'Power Woman.'  It shows a minimal band with some variation from bloom to bloom, fall to tall:

P 1-11 is a bitone, no band, definite fall overlay, no band, but showing a breaking up of the solid pattern into the lines of the Umbrata color in the veins, color of the standards showing through between.

P 1-12 is a self with a black band across the hafts.  This is the (genetic) Umbrata from 'Romantic Evening' expressed only as a broad thumbpring (?) across the haft area.  An alternate interpretation--the fall band is so wide it covers most of the fall, leaving only a very restricted area showing the dark overlay.  (This seedling has been discarded)

In a cross of 'Great Gatsby' X 'Romantic Evening' the following appears as one of two amoenas out of eleven seedlings; others were bitones, one was a dark self.  This seedling is numbered P 2-4.  The beard is dark yellow, not red-orange.  This seedling illustrates the effect of what I have written as "I-sub-s" but if I had access to a font that would carry accross our various media, this would be a capital eye with a subscript "s" referring to the weak dominant inhibitor from 'Progenitor.'  I add this because I sense confusion with my writing this out as "I-sub-s."  I could just as easily have said "Cook amoena factor" or "Dominant amoena factor" or any of other conventional expressions.  TWOI, I think, uses eye with the subscript "s".

This flower shows the effect of two doses (presumably) of the factor, *plus* the overlay from RE, a faint border of medium violet showing on the petal on the right near its outer edge.  That border color is much darker than that of the standards, as in 'Mastery.'  This seedling is being used very cautiously in breeding as it has neither branching nor budcount.

The seedling above crossed on to 'Wild Wings' (a very dark RE bicolor) produced the following variations (only a sample of the cross):

R 12-A (temporary designation.  This is growing in Tennessee and I don't know it's actual number)
Strong bicolor, either no "I-sub-s" or one dose only, curious absence of pigment in edge of standards irregularly expressed, strong Umbrata, red beard.  The difference between the underside and top side of the fall is very apparent with the flared up fall edge.

R 12-B (temp. designation)  Near amoena (presumably two doses of "I-sub-s," Umbrata expressed over violet ground color, narrow fall band consistenly expressed, orange yellow beard.  The fall dark color "shadows" the fall underside as well.

R 12-C (temp. desig.)   Strong Umbrata, no band, on what may be a self of blue.  Note the darker edge of the standards.  I do not believe that would appear on an "I-sub-s" bicolor, but who knows?

Now, here is one for fun:  R 60-1: 'Lotus Land' X P 1-9: sib to 'Power Woman'--I take this to be (a) an amethyst self, (b) rather thin and uneven Umbrata with a wide but uneven border of the same color as standards, so lacks I-sub-s, with a thin yellow band around the rim of the standards and falls, showing as a rose when combined with the amethyst color.  The yellow is almost entirely absent from the beard, which inherits its blue color from its papa.  Needless to say, this is being kept but used with extreme caution.  Those open standards--well, doggy traits don't seem to get lost easily.

A sib to the above, "R 60-best" is my only designation so far, shows this color pattern: amethyst-pink color, tangerine beard with some blue present, Umbrata with the underside of the fall color showing clearly in one flared up ruffle, narrow but definite band on fall with the same color as the standards, conspicuously marked hafts typical of many Umbrata variations.

This may add to the generous contribution by Bill Burleson, for which I am grateful.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links