HYB: some more of R 60 cross, not Umbrata

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: some more of R 60 cross, not Umbrata
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:26:57 -0400

Omitted from the previous post concerning Umbrata, here is an indifferent quality photo of P 1-9, sib to 'Power Woman', (Swingtown X Romantic Evening), with some photos following showing some of the diversity of the progeny the previous post did not show.  This cross, and several others from the "R" year have been grown by one of my daughters in middle Tennessee, a gracious gift of time, effort and space I have greatly appreciated:

P 1-9: Swingtown X Romantic Evening  slight bitone or self, Umbrata, no border, blue-purple beard; not showing is a substantial coppery influence in the base of standards and hafts; the flared up fall on the lower right shows the color of the underside of the petal:

The following are an addendum to the previous post in order to sho some of the other non-umbrata seedlings from the R 60 cross of Lotus Land X P 1-9:

R 60-yellow1 (temp. desig.)--slight blue showing at tip of tangerine beard:

R 60-yellow2 (temp. desig--more blue showing in beard that looks more yellow than tangerine at the tip in this photo, shading to a deeper orange in throat, approaching a "Joyce Terry" pattern:

R 60-yellow3, the yellow approaching apricot, more strongly developed white blaze in fall, both blue and rich red showing in beard, made more obvious by the missing standard (first bloom of stalk, I think).  I admit to being rather smitten with this honey:

Then, I have only a tentative idea how to interpret the colors of this puppy. temp. desig. R 60-violet.  Considering its daddy, I'd say perhaps violet-blue self, strong yellow influence in the sides of the fall, rendering the color warm violet as a flush.  The fall band says this may be an Umbrata, but the fall blaze is also strong yet veined with Umbrata-like veining.  The beard shows a mix of yellow and blue.

Others in the cross included some bitone and self red-violets, one of which opened two blooms, then shortly thereafter, two more, so that there were four open at once.  It is possible the bottom blossom is on a separate stalk.  My daughter tells me that it is unfortunately rather messy in the hafts:

None of this followup is intended to contribute significantly to the Umbrata question.  It is posted just to show something of how much fun, wild, wierd and wonderful some crosses can be.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links