HYB: TB: I-sub-s, Whole Cloth (for Bill)

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: TB: I-sub-s, Whole Cloth (for Bill)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:38:45 -0400

A not very good photo of WHOLE CLOTH (Cook 1956), important descendant
of PROGENITOR, with fully expressed amoena appearance (white standards,
violet blue falls, <no haft marks>).  Note bud color, which shows the
backside of falls are violet blue (except for the green part).  WC was
used a <lot> in hybridizing, and seems to be in the pedigrees of nearly
everything that does well here.  At least that's what I think this
decade - I've noticed that my opinion changes about every ten years <g>.

Another important descendant of PROGENITOR was MELODRAMA (Cook R. 1956),
neglecta (pallid violet standards, dark violet falls).  There is a photo
of MELODRAMA, with pedigree, on the HIPS website.  The pedigree for
MELODRAMA isn't in the 50s checklist.

These two Cook kids show two different doses of I-sub-s, and are (is?)
the color pattern(s) Neil was suggesting are/is present in addition to
"umbrata" in ROMANTIC EVENING .  Illustrations for your next thesis,
Bill <g>.

WC grows fairly well here, at least when our weather extremes don't get
too carried away.  MELODRAMA died.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8