Re: HYB: TB: I-sub-s, Whole Cloth (for Bill)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: TB: I-sub-s, Whole Cloth (for Bill)
  • From: "Neil Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:57:13 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, Linda Mann <lmann@v...> wrote:
"...I-sub-s...the color pattern(s) Neil was suggesting are/is present
in addition to "umbrata" in ROMANTIC EVENING...."

My assumption of I(s) (Bill suggested this as an alternative to "I-
sub-s" and I find it an excellent suggestion) being present
in 'Romantic Evening' is not based on color contrast of the fall
margin with standard color.  There appear to be pigment(s) present
that are not affected by the 'Progenitor' factor, presumably derived
ultimately from some forms of *Iris aphylla,*-- at least that is the
speculation.

The assumption of the factor's presence is based on progenies, not
phenotype (visual appearance)of RE.  Two amoenas, one solid and eight
bitones out of eleven seedlings bloomed from the cross of 'Great
Gatsby' X 'Romantic Evening suggest each parent provided one dose of
the factor.  I doubt very much both factors came from RE.

Ascribing a dose of I(s) to 'Great Gatsby' flies in the face of the
published pedigree.  The flower is, however, a distinct bitone rather
like those of the 'Melodrama' type.  I do not think it has
an "umbrata" fall overlay.

Neil Mogensen   z  7 western NC mountains.