HYB: 2004 crosses

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: 2004 crosses
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:29:16 -0400

A while back, someone suggested we share our interesting crosses for this year  --  or at least the ones that excite us.  So, here are some of mine.
I got 53 pods out of approximately 300 deliberate crosses, plus 16 bee pods.  Of the 53, I think 50 may produce seed.  Among these, I was happy to get a cross of DIFFERENT WORLD x BRAVE NEW WORLD  --  a world-class cross, you might say!  Actually, I'm happy to get any cross involving BRAVE NEW WORLD, which I think is a particularly beautiful flower, space-age or not, since I don't think it sets seed, and, so far, I rarely have been able to pollinate anything else with it.
Another one I'm pleased about is BREATHTAKING x MIDNIGHT MOONLIGHT.   BREATHTAKING (photo attached) is a seedling of mine which will be introduced by Winterberry Gardens next year.  I'm hoping to get an amoena with BREATHTAKING's red-violet falls.
I also have a pod on TITAN'S GLORY by BREATHTAKING.
I finally made a cross I've been trying to get for a few years  --  BALTIC STAR x sdlg 01Z1 (ROYAL CARNIVAL x 93R6: (yellow bitone WABASH seedling x STEPPING OUT)).  93R6 is a tall, wide-branching, vigorous pale violet plicata, nice in the garden, but not a show-bench flower.  Attempts to cross it with BALTIC STAR failed, but its progeny, a soft red-violet plicata resulting from a cross with ROYAL CARNIVAL, put two pods on BALTIC STAR.  We'll see . . .
Just for the heck of it, I also put 01Z1 on TANZANIAN TANGERINE and got a pod.
And  --  Dave Ferguson take note  --  I also went back and got a pod on YVONNE BURT x ROMANTIC MOOD.
--  Griff
zone 7 in Virginia

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here