Re: HYB: Helen et al, detached falls

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Re: HYB: Helen et al, detached falls
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:40:14 -0400

One of the things I learned to 'see' this year is how that outline
varies.  In HELEN, the fall gradually widens from the claw out to the
widest point, then makes a fairly abrupt 'turn'.

In the reddish seedling, the fall outline has an almost 's' shape -
broadens more quickly from the claw than HELEN does, then flattens out,
then abruptly widens again, eventually rounding less abruptly than HELEN
does.  This gives what I think of as 'banjo' shaped falls, a form that I
don't like much, at least not on a modern iris with a lot of substance.

Although HELEN doesn't have that 's' outline, the drop in the falls and
the abrupt angle is less appealing to me than either the reddish or the
other seedling.  Not as rounded or as wide as modern tastes, I still
find the form of the second seedling more attractive than either HELEN
or the reddish sibling.  Placing the three petals together helped me see
what it is about the form that I find more appealing.

Definitely don't like those banjo shapes.

Neil, our mystery very late historic has the most pronounced banjo
shaped falls of any I've looked at.   Not a very attractive looking
thing in this photo, but very attractive and graceful in person.

Neil said:
<--that apparent "width" depends on the outline of the fall.  All fall
(and
                   standard) petals are quite narrow at the "claw" (zone
of attachment to the
                   perianth tube connecting the petal part of the flower
to ovary) but abruptly
                   widen at some point as they extend outward from the
attachment.>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8