RE: Pfauenuage & Romeo

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] Pfauenuage & Romeo
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:31:34 -0400

Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net> wrote:

>Comparison of the photos in the article in ROOTS in which this instance
>of    the "usurper syndrome"  is discussed show that ROMEO and
>PFAUENUAGE
>  [fow-en-nwa-guh] are nearly identical.  .........
>
>The article in question is "Of Exotic Birds and Tragic Lovers", by Phil
>Edinger, in the Fall 1993 issue of ROOTS.
>
>Anner Whitehead [at the time of the original post Commercial Source
>Chairman, Historic Iris Preservation Society]
>==========
>hope that's helpful...
>Doesn't answer which is which tho....

This is an extremely useful article, the best official descriptions I have
seen of the two, but I'd like to add a footnote.

I obtained PFAUENAUGE from Gus Seligmann, who obtained it back in the '50s or
'60s from a Robin friend who had obtained it directly from the importer.
That's not proof -- I'd have to dig rather deeply into the archives to
provide more details -- but it is relatively good provenance.

Gus's father was German and Gus spoke the language fluently himself.  He
insisted that the English translation was wrong, that it should be
"Butterfly" rather than "Eye".  The two are relatively easy to tell apart in
the garden, difficult to do so from photos because PFAUENAUGE is so camera
shy.  To the naked eye, the pattern on its falls really do resemble a
butterfly.  The "wings" are much better deliniated that ROMEO's wash and the
distinct light midline indeed looks like the body of a butterfly.

Unfortunately, I took the risk of sending my best slides to Phil and they
were lost in the mail.  I don't know whether I have any second-rate ones left
in the archives.

Sharon McAllister