Re: Pfauenuage & Romeo

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Pfauenuage & Romeo
  • From: Jean Richter richter@eecs.berkeley.edu
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:48:09 -0700

When I did a Google search on Pfauenauge
this morning I kept coming up with German
web sites with text about butterflies
(Schmetterling in German). I'm fairly
certain that Pfauenauge does literally
translate as peacock eye, but perhaps
there's a butterfly that happens to have
the same name, for which the iris was named?

Haven't studied German in almost 25 years,
so corrections from more knowledgeable folks

arilbredbreeder@cs.com wrote:

> Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net> wrote:
>>Comparison of the photos in the article in ROOTS in which this instance
>>of    the "usurper syndrome"  is discussed show that ROMEO and
>> [fow-en-nwa-guh] are nearly identical.  .........
>>The article in question is "Of Exotic Birds and Tragic Lovers", by Phil
>>Edinger, in the Fall 1993 issue of ROOTS.
>>Anner Whitehead [at the time of the original post Commercial Source
>>Chairman, Historic Iris Preservation Society]
>>hope that's helpful...
>>Doesn't answer which is which tho....
> This is an extremely useful article, the best official descriptions I have
>seen of the two, but I'd like to add a footnote.
> I obtained PFAUENAUGE from Gus Seligmann, who obtained it back in the '50s
>or '60s from a Robin friend who had obtained it directly from the importer.
>That's not proof -- I'd have to dig rather deeply into the archives to
>provide more details -- but it is relatively good provenance.
> Gus's father was German and Gus spoke the language fluently himself.  He
>insisted that the English translation was wrong, that it should be
>"Butterfly" rather than "Eye".  The two are relatively easy to tell apart in
>the garden, difficult to do so from photos because PFAUENAUGE is so camera
>shy.  To the naked eye, the pattern on its falls really do resemble a
>butterfly.  The "wings" are much better deliniated that ROMEO's wash and the
>distinct light midline indeed looks like the body of a butterfly.
> Unfortunately, I took the risk of sending my best slides to Phil and they
>were lost in the mail.  I don't know whether I have any second-rate ones
>left in the archives.
> Sharon McAllister

Yahoo! Groups Links