Re: CULT: 01S3 and other reds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] CULT: 01S3 and other reds
  • From: "jgcrump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:44:04 -0400

Kent  --  Thanks for the comments.  WILL SCARLET is by Don Spoon of
Winterberry Gardens, and was introduced this year.  I'll send you a larger
photo of it off-list, so that you can see more detail.   Interestingly, the
cross that produced it was MAKIN' MUSIC (J. Meek, 1987) x LADY FRIEND (Ghio,
1980).  What that demonstrates is that introduceable irises (i.e., with good
form and distinctive characteristics) can be produced using not only one,
but two parents of  "older" vintage.   But the odds are against it.  I'm not
that familiar with MAKIN' MUSIC, but LADY FRIEND is a superior iris, as
shown by its continued popularity both as a garden plant and a hybridizing
parent.

I share your liking for older forms.  Actually, I didn't reject the two
seedlings you mention for bad form, but because I felt they were just a tad
short of what I felt was the distinctiveness that would warrant
introduction.

Yes, there may be an amoena or two come out of the 01S3 and 012C3 cross,
since 012C3 has CHAMPAGNE ELEGANCE as a grandparent.  And, since both 01S3
and 012C3 have ROMANTIC EVENING as a parent, I would expect some pretty dark
velvet falls to show up.  --  Griff