Re: I RUDSKYII

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: I RUDSKYII
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:28:52 -0000

Harold Peters wrote:

> Just what is an I. Rudskyii?

I had the same question, so I looked it up in "The World of Irises"
and Kohlein's "Iris".  Both references gave it as a species fitting
in the MTB class in growth habits.  I suspect Kohlein got that
classification from TWOI, though.  Kohlein also says some consider
it a variant of I. variegata and further states it is for collectors
only.

When such a statement as the last is made, I wish there were more
clarification to justify the remark.  I suppose somewhere in his
book he may define what 'only for a collector' entails, but it long
since went by the wayside if I ever read it.

Frankly, I didn't find either tome had a lot of information.  That
could be because it has never been widely grown.  The posted photo
matches the description of the bloom very well - much better than is
often the case.  So I would ask how it grows?  Is it difficult?  I
found it interesting and attractive, but I wonder if it could take a
Texas summer.  Kohlein listed it as originating from Macedonia, but
TWOI had Yugoslavia.  Where Macedonia is geographically escapes me
at the moment and I haven't tried to look it up.  I thought after a
night's rest the memory would be there without going to the
trouble.  Apparently not.

Great photo!  I'm glad it was posted.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net