Re: Re: I RUDSKYII

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Re: I RUDSKYII
  • From: eleanore@mts.net
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:21:15 -0500

Thank you for looking up this info, Donald, and for your kind words re my
photo.  I had to take about 10 pictures before I was ok with the picture
quality (both rainy & very windy here yesterday).  Rudskyii is exceptional in
person, to me, but the photo is not, alas.

I tried very hard not to be paranoid about growing this iris, when Jimmy
Clark mentioned to me that it was rare.  That first year, 2001, it got
planted in my raised nursery bed, along with about 150 other irises that he
unexpectedly sent me, to see if they would grow & survive in Z3 (think it's
US Z2).  I had to quickly build another nursery bed for the 200 other irises
I had ordered.  Rudskyii bloomed for the first time last year, but only
sparsely.

Jimmy also mentioned it needs a lot of space, which it no longer has in the
nursery bed, so it must be moved this year, once it's finished blooming.  The
foliage is much like I. Verisicolour, long, clean and droopy.  It's height
could be considered MTB, as could the flower stalk.  I'll try to take a photo
of the foliage & stalks later, if I can convince I. Wreckmeister to keep out
of the way for a moment or two. :)

El, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Z3

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Harold Peters wrote:

> Just what is an I. Rudskyii?

I had the same question, so I looked it up in "The World of Irises"
and Kohlein's "Iris".  Both references gave it as a species fitting
in the MTB class in growth habits.  I suspect Kohlein got that
classification from TWOI, though.  Kohlein also says some consider
it a variant of I. variegata and further states it is for collectors
only.

When such a statement as the last is made, I wish there were more
clarification to justify the remark.  I suppose somewhere in his
book he may define what 'only for a collector' entails, but it long
since went by the wayside if I ever read it.

Frankly, I didn't find either tome had a lot of information.  That
could be because it has never been widely grown.  The posted photo
matches the description of the bloom very well - much better than is
often the case.  So I would ask how it grows?  Is it difficult?  I
found it interesting and attractive, but I wonder if it could take a
Texas summer.  Kohlein listed it as originating from Macedonia, but
TWOI had Yugoslavia.  Where Macedonia is geographically escapes me
at the moment and I haven't tried to look it up.  I thought after a
night's rest the memory would be there without going to the
trouble.  Apparently not.

Great photo!  I'm glad it was posted.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net