  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] Re: I RUDSKYII
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:47:06 -0700 (PDT)

The reason Yugoslavia was given is that Macedonia was part of Yugoslavia before it broke up into smaller countries. A husband and wife team of Yugoslavian botanists described and named Iris rudskyi and of course their last name is the part of the species name that people forget to write, Horvath. I believe the original description which I have seen was extensive but in Croatian. Western botanists have a tendency to lump several of these and similar species all under Iris variagata, but they are distinctive. Nonetheless all should grow under pretty typical MTB culture. The reason they are rare is not because they are impossible to grow but because much of the area they live in has been having small European tribal wars. Collecting in the wild could be interesting especially while trying to avoid the land mines.

Char Holte <cholte@wi.rr.com> wrote:
is east of Germany and south of Poland in Europe.
Char, New Berlin WI