Re: I RUDSKYII

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] I RUDSKYII
  • From: "Eleanor Hutchison" eleanore@mts.net
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:17:52 -0500

I did my best to get a picture of the foliage (that's A. Wreckmeister's foliage in the background).  Please excuse the weeds.  It's rained here every day but 2 in the last month, the radio reported yesterday.  The sun is finally shining today, but the mosquitoes are out in force.  I do have 2 mosquito magnets running, but they can't keep up, because of all the water in the grass on the north side of the property.  The south side of the property drains into the Seine River.

The nursery beds are raised about 1 foot.  Most landscaped beds are raised about 6".  I've learned over time to plant new rhizomes in the nursery beds, to keep a better eye on them all.  Once they bloom, they get split into 2 and planted in 2 different areas.  I lose very few irises this way.

Jimmy's notes to me mentioned to give Rudskyii lots of space; it got the same space as all new rhizomes in the nursery bed get.  He also mentioned that the leaves fall down and curl to the ground when it blooms, but it must need to be larger to do that.  I see no signs of that happening.

To me, this clump doesn't appear like a "normal" clump.  There are huge spaces between each section, although the clump has formed an entire circle.  I only rec'd one rhizome, but I can't recall now if it was large or small.  It looks like it would be easy to remove a piece at a time.  I'll try that after bloom is finished; that may allow me to leave a piece in the nursery bed, for insurance purposes and bloom next year.  There are 6 sections, with 5 of them having one flower stalk each.  Each stem, thin like an MTB, has 2 branches and a terminal bud.  The foliage is 12" tall; the flower stalk ranges from 13" to 16" tall.

The foliage appears quite normal to me, 3/4" wide at its broadest spot.  The flowers are 2 1/2" high by 2 1/2 to 3" wide.

Hopefully, I've answered all your questions.  :)

El, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Z3

Yahoo! Groups Links

JPEG image