Re: Re: CULT: Pod setting

  • Subject: Re: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Re: CULT: Pod setting
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:16:36 EDT

In a message dated 6/15/2005 10:36:55 AM Central Daylight Time, neilm@charter.net writes:

What have we got?  Partial pollenization?  Or
is this a hormonal "seedless" fruit set due to leftover growth hormones in
the bloomstalk?  I suspect this is the case, actually.

My suspicion is that the rich mixture in modern tall bearded iris ancestry cause many pollens, perhaps including some totally alien, to trigger seed capsule (pod if you prefer) growth even when all the essentials for production of viable seeds are not present.

Smiles,
Bill Burleson

Yahoo! Groups Links