  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] I RUDSKYII
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:06:21 -0400

I noted Francesca Thoolen's post to the effect that "Rudskyii" is a synonym
for *I. variegata.*  When I first saw the photo posted, that relationship,
if not identity, jumped out at me.  The best clone of species *variegata*
I'm growing is PETIT LION, and the bloom of Rudskyii is very similar in
color, form and pattern, although not as crisp as PETIT LION.

The description of the foliage is unlike PETIT LION, but the curl or
recurature of the foliage is within normal range of bearded iris varieties,
regardless their species origin, the exception being, so far, the
*pallidas.*  All I've seen have been pretty consistent on sharply erect,
pointed foliage with a bright translucent edge on both sides of the blade.
It has a very attractive effect.

Most of the clones also have rather blue-green tones to the foliage due to a
waxy exudate lacking in the other bearded species I've grown.  That may
account for *pallida's* apparent resistance to both borer attack and virus
mottling. Orville Fay described the species as "virus resistant."  I suspect
he was right, and I've been giving some thought (horrors!) of back-crossing
some moderns to the diploid species to recover the disease resistance and
ability to tolerate our climate indefinitely without decline--one of the
very few able to do so.  The frustration I faced when I tried tetraploid
pollens on diploid species materials L. F. Randolph had sent me early in the
'60s has not been forgotten.  I made hundreds of pollenizations and never
got a single seed.  The hope for an unreduced gamete continued, as they DO
happen, on occasion, but connecting with them is just pure luck combined
with persistance.

I had the latter but apparently lacked the former.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains