TB: Kendal's grandpa's iris

  • Subject: [iris-photos] TB: Kendal's grandpa's iris
  • From: Kendal Liddle kliddle@richter7.com
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:23:10 -0600

I totally agree with you Kent. The lighter orange and the lavender look very
modern. They very well could be more modern than the 1950's. My grandfather
played with his iris into the 70's and maybe even later (he died in 1984).
All parts of the darker orange are the same color, but it does have a little
bit wave in the petals like the others. My grandfather was very fond of the
ruffled edges as I remember. I was quite young when he died and one of the
few vivid memories I do have was a tour of his irises and his explanation of
how he crossed one iris with another trying to add one quality of one flower
to another. The part of the conversation that I remember was about ruffled
edges. This was in 1983. I don't know how active he was crossing if at all
then as he was about 80. The dark orange date back to the 50's, the others
are anyone's guess. If they look more modern, they probably are. All I know
was there were at one time two oranges. The earlier was not truly orange and
involved in the parentage of the darker one in the picture. As these are the
only two oranges I have of his, I assumed that the lighter one was a
predecessor to the darker which was the goal, but it may be a later cross
that is not even related. If it is not, the original earlier light orange
may have been lost years ago. Like I mentioned the irises were just left on
their own in the back yard for close to 20 years. They were weeded and
watered, but never moved or divided until my grandmother died when the
family removed them when the house was sold. The lighter could have died
out. It may not have even been in his garden. My grandfather had several
rows 75 feet long of irises in a garden plot thaw was later used to build a
house. He must have had to get rid of most of his irises when the garden was
lost. The best information I have is my fathers memory. Dates are based in
reference to things like "before we built the house but after..." and the
only iris my father has a specific memory of is the special orange and that
is just because of it's uniqueness and the pride my grandfather had in it.
He barely paid attention to that one, the other were completely disregarded.
It is sad that the details and even the names he had for them were lost.

I will name and introduce the dark orange for sure. I think there is enough
interest in its history and it might be of use to growers because it is
quite a strong and hardy growerčI have been told that many other oranges are
not. The others I will name if they are unique enough to have a name and I
will introduce them if there is enough interest. If you or anyone know of
other named irises that the lavender and lighter orange look like, let me
know/send me pictures so I don't spend too much time trying to introduce
something that is not unique enough to warrant it. The dark one is not that
unique in appearancečsolid orange, but it's genes should be around 50 years

Thanks for your insight.

Yahoo! Groups Links