CAREFREE DAYS

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] CAREFREE DAYS
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 14:37:32 -0500

A surprise.  This is very late for me here and usually on the rare occasions
when an iris attempts to bloom, the buds dry up.  Of seven buds, only one of
the terminal buds dried up.  So it's a welcome surprise to have watched this
stalk bloom in spite of the heat and wind.  What's the official description
of the color, Griff?  The buds are definitely a pink shade, but the actual
effect of the bloom is more that of yellow than pink and a really close
examination says its a very pale orange with pink and yellow blended into
it.  It's what I call 'champagne', but I'm not sure that's a valid color -
just that it describes a color class where this fits.  In any case, it's the
only 'champagne' color that's done well, even briefly.  I hope it continues
the pattern in subsequent seasons.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA