Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 3:52 AM
Subject: Re: [iris-photos] NOID #2 and a note on Long's

Thanks Colleen,

It certainly looks close, but I suspect it's not the same.  There are some important differences in the two photos, but I'll keep an eye on 'Sneak Preview' as a definite posibility.

Another thing is that my Grandfather probably didn't acquire any new Iris as late as the early or mid 80's (I doubt he would have gotten it the first year of introduction).  By that time his health was failing, and it was all he could do to take care of the ones he had (but he was still here, so he might have?).

A potential clue is that he got nearly all his new Iris in person from Long's in Boulder CO.  It is possible that it is a Long's introduction (doesn't look like one though).  I don't have a list of Long's introductions, and it seems that many are obscure and hard to find photos of.  I've thought of doing a collection of their Iris, since there is sort of a personal history there.

I have very few of my Grandfather's Iris left, but I hope to identify the ones I do have, and perhaps even grow some more of the ones he had.  He was always on a quest to get a good orange, and this is as close as I think he ever found, and it is a performer - only one left.  Others then tended to bloom out early and/or rot in his conditions (I have the same problem with many oranges and pinks), and none survived more than two or three years.

I haven't contacted Long's for information yet, and I don't know how good their records are (good - I hope).  It would be really cool if they kept a record of who bought what, but I think that's about as unlikely as me going on a trip to the moon tomorrow.

Dave