{Disarmed} RE: HYB:Improvements

  • Subject: {Disarmed} RE: [iris-photos] HYB:Improvements
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 12:21:38 -0700

I agree with you completely, Betty.

I would not use parent irises that were not at the top of their class.  I understand that hybridizers are looking for different things.  Some are mostly concerned with the ability to do well in their difficult climate.  I am looking for the forms I like best with excellent branching, bud count, disease resistance, attractive clumps and unique color combinations.  Rebloom is certainly a big bonus.  I am very particular about substance.  I want my beauties to last.  I once destroyed a seedling that had the prettiest blossom I had ever seen because it held up only twenty four hours.  The flowers were gorgeous; the clump, covered with dead or dying blossoms, was a mess.  Garden presence is also very important.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9