{Disarmed} RE: Approaching "bloomout"

  • Subject: {Disarmed} RE: [iris-photos] Approaching "bloomout"
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:25:21 -0700

A few years ago one of my seedlings put up its first stalk from its only fan.  It was a black iris that I thought was unusually beautiful.  I cut it and put in on my table where all who saw it sighed over its first and last bloom.  Then I forgot about it until fall; when I was digging the bed, I saw that what looked like the dead rhizome was putting up two little shoots.  I cared for them tenderly, and now I have four big healthy clumps of it.  I’m lining it out again this fall, and next year I may register it.  They won’t all come back like that no matter what you do them.  Good luck!

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9