{Disarmed} RE: reselected seedlings

  • Subject: {Disarmed} RE: [iris-photos] reselected seedlings
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:38:47 -0700

These seedlings are all beautiful.  The lined falls on 297B are spectacular.  It would be the one I would buy.  The other two however are most interesting to me.

I had a seedling bloom this spring from a cross of two plicatas which was cream colored with no sign of plicata markings.  Is that a glaciata?   The cross was (Pond Lily x Joaquin Lady) X Lovely Dawn.  That I got a plicata seedling from Pond Lily X Joaquin Lady astonished me.  All the siblings of the cream colored one were plicatas.  I didn’t find it very attractive but quite interesting.  Since it is in a neglected part of my garden, I still have it.  Perhaps I should keep it to look at more closely next year.

Also I am surprised that a cross with Ring Around Rosie produced an iris which does not show plicata markings.  Can some one explain this?

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9