Re: HYB:2014-1

In a message dated 6/1/2007 12:48:35 A.M. Central Daylight Time, tasquierloic@cs.com writes:
<<the only one to bloom from 2005 crosses>>
As to plicata, I like the red on yellow.   That was the color pattern I'd expected with the 1812 cross.  I'd hoped that Lemon Reflection carried enough plicata genes to produce plicata seedlings.  Not a one in 140+. With the purple on cream, there are just so many of them.  It's hard to tell them apart. I like the near blue on stark white . . . with blue or red beards!  The more narrow the band the better.
To be honest, I'm not thrilled with the pattern of 2014-1.  When I saw it was (finally) open, my first thought was . . . Oh, no!  Another purple!    I was hoping for a wider variant on the bi-tone and I don't like the fall stripes.  However, as I stood looking at it, I saw that it does have characteristics I like, if they hold up.  Great substance with acceptable form.  Posted the picture because I thought others might like the stripes and the June (almost) bloom from a cross that would have bloomed in late April or early May.  Considering the blooms I got earlier in the garden?  It's not bad.
Since the 1812 cross was such fun to share with the group (archives-fall 2004), I thought I'd share the first of their children.  The pollen parent was a tall, well branched, banded bi-color seedling containing Edith Wolford, Silverado, Latin Lady, & Theme Master.  Pod parent contains Lemon Reflection, Innocent Star, Earl of Essex & Hot Streak.  Just playing around to see what I'd get.  Almost didn't plant it.  Those are the ones that often surprise.
I have a couple that are stalking up from the Cantina X Tara's Choice cross!  It won't be the only one just the first.  It's such a crazy season.  We're into a drought and I've not watered anything so these may look better in future years.  I hope.
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives
iris-talk archives