Re: IB Magic Bubbles

  • Subject: Re: IB Magic Bubbles
  • From: Vicki <jvickic@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 07:02:40 -0700

Four to five buds and 'stumpy' stalks  was more the rule than the exception for many, many years.  Now hybridizers are incorporating both; TB's with finer stalks and higher bud count, and especially I. aphylla based iris and getting IB's with slender stalks and sometimes with bud count as high as 12.
 i.e. our IB, My Fantasy.  Typically TB X SDB does give 4-5 buds per stalk.

SandraB wrote:
This is an intermediate bearded, so I am guessing the bud count is good for an intermediate.  Anyway, here's a photo of two stalks the one in front has an extra spur, so
between 4 and 5 buds.
Hope this helps.  I don't know what is genetic on this and what is growing conditions (although as you can see I can grow great thistles).
SE Manitoba, Canada
Zone 2 -3