Re: Seed viability

  • Subject: Re: Seed viability
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:10:49 -0000

Jim,

Last year on May 6, hail took all my pods off. I usually gather the
earliest pods beginning the end of May with most maturing in June. At
this time I'm about half way finished gathering the crop this year. I
laid those pods out and let them dry. A few pods were clearly hopeless
in terms of how the seeds appeared, but some looked like they might
germinate. I planted them and got only two plants from different
crosses. Some of that may be due to the nature of the crosses since a
lot of those were from types of crosses that seldom result in
germination. At least one of those that did germinate made it
worthwhile, but germination wasn't good. Hard to say what other
factors may have had a negative effect. If you are interested enough
in a cross, it might be worth it to try. The pods I tried were likely
at least a month to six weeks short of maturity.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b,, USA

__._,_.___