Re: CULT: pest

  • Subject: Re: CULT: pest
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:31:09 -0400

Griff, it looks like common stalk borer (NOT dreaded iris borer) or some
other kind of moth larvae. Common occurrence here. I did a lot of
stalk borer hunting last summer and it seems to have helped a lot here.
They often hit the stalks as well as pods. When I only have a few
pods, I sometimes do surgery to get out the larvae - razor blade or
scalpel the hole big enough to find the larvae, then fish it out with

They eat and damage some of the seeds, but not all.

> Has anyone seen this sort of thing before? First time for me. I hit it with bug spray as soon as the first hole appeared, but it apparently didn't phase them. -- Griff
> Zone 7 along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, in Virginia

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News