questions and introduction

  • Subject: questions and introduction
  • From: "gavnomat" <bandb@wildblue.net>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:04:41 -0000

Hi
I recently joined because I wanted a place where Iris discussion was
available and a place to ask questions and see the pictures. So far
I have not seen a single picture, and wonder now if that is because I
am on the digest format? I could switch if required. I went to the
yahoogroups website and found a few pictures but not as many as I
would have expected.

I recntly became interested in Iris maybe no more than 5 or 6 years
ago. As a child growing up in an urban setting there were some in
almost everyone's garden and they all looked the same and were purple
so Iris were not my favorite flower.

However, after moving here to Montana, and living at an elevation of
5600' and having soil that is decomposed granite, and very little
natural moisture I was looking for anything that would thrive here.
I bought a few iris and they did live! However, after a few years
they died out and so I learned the hard way that they needed to be
dug and replanted on a regular basis. This land where we live had
been virgin semi-arid transitional forest land and never cultivated
before. I was grateful for anything that would live. Now I have
several Iris plants and love the blooms.........in many colors and
not just purple.

So I am eager to learn about other's flowers and their experiences
with them.
Thank you,
Barbara in Montana

__._,_.___