Re: SPU: spuria postings

  • Subject: Re: SPU: spuria postings
  • From: Jan Lauritzen <janicelauritzen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:48:06 -0700 (PDT)

Donald,

At least one of our members says that hers never go dormant because she waters them all summer/fall.

I do like the foliage but prefer to save the water by letting them go dormant for August and September.  Our summers are usually in the 90's and 100's (tomorrow is supposed to be 102 to 104 here) and very very dry.  Of course, this year we only had 3 1/2 inches the entire season - November to February - in other words 3 1/2 since a year ago February.

Jan in Chatsworth

Donald Eaves <donald@eastland.net> wrote:
I'm so glad to see the photos of the spurias. Here in upper central Texas
where it's hot and very windy most of the time when they bloom (not this
year) they suffer some from the effects of both. Nonetheless they tend to
be easy, rewarding plants to grow once they are established. Here they get
pretty tall, though most don't quite reach registered heights. They are
carefree plants once established. I pretty much leave them alone except for
trying to kick-start them in the fall by giving some supplemental water.
If I could wish for one thing, it would be that they wouldn't go dormant
because their reed-like foliage is really nice and I'd like to have it all
summer long.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA