Re: SPU Countess Zeppelin

  • Subject: Re: SPU Countess Zeppelin
  • From: Jan Lauritzen <janicelauritzen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 00:55:57 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, we seem to survive but I grew up near the beach and much prefer the cooler climate and fog etc.

Interesting that you ordered the tallest ones you could find.  Many breeders are now working on creating shorter plants for the smaller gardens of today. I am sending you a couple of pictures of Baby Chick.  It is supposed to be 28 to 35 inches tall.  Most spurias seem to be in the 38 to 50 inch range.  I won the Spuria Section award at our SFVIS show last spring (2006) with this iris.

It is 1 AM here and I am going to quit for the night.  Have a good day.

Jan in Chatsworth

loic tasquier <tasquierloic@cs.com> wrote:
Hello Jan

I cannot believe people can survive in such hot conditions...!

here, the dew lingers till midday, must wear rubber shoes not to have soaked feets all morning...

(Just to bring you a bit of fresh air...)

Now back to the subject:

i only have 16 spurias.

The first i planted didn't have a chance to bloom, they have been moved so often....
Now the garden has found  it's definitive pattern, so the Spurias can finally settle.
I have been already rewarded by 4 that have bloomed this year.

I just planted last month 3 that came from Australia with Barry Blyth Bearded.
I ordered the tallests i could:
Fly so high/ 65", Sidonie/ 60" and Upon a harp/ 56"
I hope i can cross them and maybe get even taller ones!
The garden is quite big and the earth is so rich tall flowers are really welcome, to peak though the mass of vegetation.

Haven't made any cross yet, have done so much ( at least 1600, with the amazing result of 500 pods ripening...)with the Bearded, i'm almost overdosed...
Even the ensada hardly tempted me...

But i know when i see the extra tall Spurias bloom, i won't resist long....
It might take several years, though, they seem to need a long time to settle!
I will have time to recover from my pollen hangover!

Will keep you posted !

Loïc