Re: Arilbreds in very cold climates

  • Subject: Re: Arilbreds in very cold climates
  • From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@ncia.net>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:41:52 -0700 (PDT)

*** El - if I remember correctly about your climate....you usually have no snow cover and I am fortunate to  have consistent snow cover which insulates the the 'tender' irises I grow. (arilbreds and TBs). I grow all my irises in raised beds except for the Japanese irises. I would mulch your arilbreds during the worst of the cold winter and remove the mulch as soon as it is practical and keep a watch for late frosts and cover them up. I have done that as well.***

Elm, thanks for your reply post. I did join the Aril Society and knew the - and + designation and what they meant but I wasn't sure if most did. Yes, the regalia is much hardier with the ancestry coming from much colder climates than the oncos. I knew that 'Persian Sapphire'  had SDB in its parentage and its bloom habit and growth pattern is most like an SDB than any other arilbreds that I grow.

Strangely enough, 'Omar's Gold' is 1/4 MDB (!) and the rest of it is various AB. I do grow other OGB - : 'Sajjetta', 'Loudmouth', 'Prairie Thunder'....these all have SDB somewhere in their background.  The Arilbreds and the SDBs share a bloom season which is good to know for folks wanting to extend their iris bloom season.

I  still have a few TBs in good bloom and the Siberians continue in peak bloom with the Japanese irises in high green bud. It looks like they will be early here...usually they start in mid-July.

Cheers,

Ellen Gallagher / northern White Mountains, New Hampshire / USDA  Zone 3

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News