Re: Re: Re Re: Arilbreds in very cold climates

  • Subject: Re: Re: Re Re: Arilbreds in very cold climates
  • From: "El Hutchison" <eleanore@mts.net>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 22:05:39 -0600

Sorry Elm, I should have mentioned my 3 nursery beds are all raised by an avg of 2 ft.  2 of them are on the south side, so get sun for most of the day; the 3rd one is on the west side and gets lots of sun as well.  I put all new rhizomes in there and leave them there till they bloom, then move them out into the landscape, which is also slightly raised sloped beds.
I've had a few AB's bloom in the old protected spot, on the west side of the shed, but they don't usually bloom after the first time, and often just fade away.  I do have about 10 TB's, plus a few SDB's and siberians that have been growing and blooming in that spot for the last 6 yrs as well as an I versicolor.  The soil isn't pure sand, there's lots of topsoil mixed in but it drains well.  It's nice and hot, plus protected from the wind and from too much rain by the shed overhang, which is what I thought the AB's wanted.