Re: HYB: HUMOR: evaluating seedlings

  • Subject: Re: HYB: HUMOR: evaluating seedlings
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:56:18 -0000

> But when the season makes the really good ones look like this (!!), I
> know not to take anything I see in the garden re: form and stalks too
> seriously.

That's not funny :). It's only too true. I'm always asked about
branching and bud count and I look at a good growing clump registered
as having two branches and 9-13 buds and the stalk has one stubby
branch and 6-7 buds (or worse) and I have to wonder if what I see on
any seedling is what they would do under different conditions.
Unfortunately that miss on buds, branching and stalk height is more the
norm than seeing them match the registration info. Better luck on
seeing stalk to fan ratio. A lot of healthy plants manage that, though
there are a few that grow well without blooming. Moving one of those
to 'purgatory' this fall. One of the better growers and been here
close to a decade. Never bloomed even once. May not even be what it
is supposed to be. Grows really well no matter where I locate it,
but 'purgatory' will be its last chance.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA