Re: HYB: Stalk-input please

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Stalk-input please
  • From: "flatnflashy" <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 09:54:35 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, christian foster
<flatnflashy@...> wrote:
I guess I should ask another question while I'm at it. Remember, I'm
new, does this count as good, bad or somewhere in between as far as
branching goes?

> Okay, all you advanced iris breeders,
> &nbsp;
> This seedling has created a conundrum.&nbsp; 05-133-06: Beau Zam X
Dresden Dancer.&nbsp; The cross was based on fall form.&nbsp; It
doesn't appear that I got the fall form I was looking for.
> &nbsp;
> I was not pleased with a plain white bloom with yellow beard.&nbsp;
A&nbsp;nearly identical sibling has already been discarded; that one
had no substance, no height, and none of the "pin tucks" around the
edges that this one has.&nbsp; I was hoping for more interest in the
beard... at least.
> &nbsp;
> But, this one caught my attention before there was a stalk because
the foliage is very wide, wide enough to stand out in my shoulder to
shoulder seedling beds.&nbsp; Wide&nbsp;enough I took a
picture&nbsp;of it and labeled the picture "BEEG&nbsp;foliage".
&nbsp;I also noted the PBF, but that's just a notation.&nbsp;
> &nbsp;
> When she bloomed, . o O (she's a bit of a tomboy, but "cleans up
nice"), she stood head and shoulders taller than anyone else in the
seedling bed, and she stayed erect even through a windstorm that had
Total Recall laying down.&nbsp; That, of course, draws attention to
the stalk.
> &nbsp;
> So here are a few shots of the stalk.&nbsp; Two stalks, three year
clump.&nbsp; One stalk has a pod held high at terminal, the other I
broke off for the clean shot.&nbsp;&nbsp;The terminal&nbsp;and lowest
branch&nbsp;were double socketed.
> &nbsp;
> Something new I'm trying is measuring the "calibre" of the stalk at
the base at the natual break off point, this one is 24/30ths of an
inch, (I guess that's really 4/5ths.) Total Recall and Jesse's Song
both measured the same&nbsp;20/30ths or 2/3rds&nbsp;inch.
> &nbsp;
> So the question is... would you save any seedling "just" for the
sake of the stalk/ branching?