HYB: Breeding away from purple (was for turquoise)

  • Subject: HYB: Breeding away from purple (was for turquoise)
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 04:22:08 -0700 (PDT)

Since the beginning of the thread about breeding for turquoise, I've been examining anything I have blooming for any traces of different coloring.

Here are two different possible leads in the march away from purple, towards blue, and eventually maybe even blue-green.

The first image shows the falls of two sister seedlings from KEIRITH X CLOWN PANTS. I hadn't noticed until I really started squinting my eyes and looking hard, but these two have a small area extending from the end of the beard, that is bluer than the surrounding purple fall. I agree it's not much -- it's not very easy to see -- but I'm trying crosses between the two, to see if I can bring that color out. I took two picture of each, hoping that the camera would catch it.

The second image is of the underside of the style arm of Iris reginae. You can see it in person from the top, but none of the pictures from above show it very well. In this image, I bent the anther to the side so you could see the navy blue area, that is very different from the purples out on the falls and standards.

Does anyone else see either of these two, or am I getting loopy from staring too long? :0)

Thanks, Tom

image/pjpeg

image/pjpeg