RE: HYB: Breeding away from purple (was for turquoise)

  • Subject: RE: HYB: Breeding away from purple (was for turquoise)
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 05:13:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dave,
I haven't been seeing too much of that coloring in the few pallidas that I have, but it's funny that you mentioned that, because...

I had just pollinated a bloom of Iris cengialtii the other day and the day after pollination as the styles were wilting, I saw a pretty good example of that "turquoise" color. Iris cengialtii doesn't have any trace of turquoise coloring anywhere on it (for me) when it's fresh. So maybe there's a pH change or something else that's going on, that gives the "turquoise" apearance. Your soil or climate could be contributing to so many of your pallidas showing it.

The picture shows that wilting cengialtii style against a flower of OZARK SKY which happened to be blooming that same day. OZARK SKY is a fairly bluish-purple plicata MTB.

Dave Ferguson wrote:

Hi all,

I don't have any photos with enough close detail to check what I'm remembering, but it seems to me that lots of Iris have something close to tuquoise in the center of the flower (often on the styles). It seems that a number of cultivars of I. pallida show this characeristic. However, they are long since finished flowering here, so I can't just run out and check.

Dave Ferguson
central NM