RE: HYB using Clown Pants

  • Subject: RE: HYB using Clown Pants
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:02:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Loïc,
Thanks for the feedback on CLOWN PANTS. I'm glad it's done so well for you and that you've gotten to try so many interesting crosses with it.

I had tried it with tetraploids several years ago and didn't have much luck, but I'd always used it as the pod parent. A recent e-mail conversation with Harald Mathes, makes me think I should have tried it the other way too. Maybe you'll show that way to be more productive.

I think you'll appreciate the diversity of seedlings, that I'm sure you'll get from these crosses. Best of luck to you! I look forward to hearing about them!

loïc wrote:

Since you bring up the subject, here are the pods that took from Clown Pants's pollen here in Holland:

bangles X clown pants
baubles & beads X clown pants
bushwacked X clown pants
calico cat X clown pants
chelsea turner X clown pants
fair aldis X clown pants
marginal way X clown pants
merit X clown pants
MM06-01a(=bumble beeXregina) X clown pants
steffie X clown pants

As you can see i have also crosses with tetra (Bushwacked and Calico Cat (that is usually so hard to pollinate...!)). We'll see what happens to them with time.

Clown Pants has grown like mad, and had 2 stalks!
when you think it crossed the ocean last October, it shows how tought and good it is!

Thanks again for this wonderful gift!
I will keep you posted on the progress of these pods.