Re: HYB: plicatas

I do a lot of work with plicatas. Here is a photo of one I'm
introducing this year. 'Eramosa Ridge' Allthough not a new colour,
this one is a super hardy cultivar. Handles cold weather, summer rot
and seems to be somewhat borer resistant. I suspect it will grow
anywhere TBs can be grown. Excellent bud count and branching and
blooms at 42" height. Great garden clumps.

A lot of complaints re plicatas recently indicate hardiness and rot
resistance have been problems for a lot of plicatas. So these are
factors to consider.

Having said all that. the one I really really like it the top photo.
the one with yellow standards and veined falls. this is a unique
colour and well worth pursuing. I don't see anything of note in the
other two, but you would be in the best position to judge plant
qualities.

Most plicatas will throw a wide variety of colours and patterns.
depending on recessives and what they are crossed to. But having yellow
on standardsa and not on falls is a very unique trait. I have a similar
coloured seedling here that I would love to cross with that one. It has
solid yellow standards and falls are blue-violet stitching on white on
falls. It is still in bloom and I'm having a hard time to find a
suitable mate.

Chuck Chapman

HYB: plicatas

Posted by: "J. Griffin Crump"
jgcrump@cox.net

jgcrumpe2001

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:01 pm (PDT)

I'm not a plicata person, but it's winnowing time and I have to
decide what stays and what goes among the seedlings. So, judging just
on the flower alone (I'll deal with low bud count, etc.), which should
I keep to work with? (More to come.) -- Griff

JPEG image