Re: Little Help - response w/PHOTO

  • Subject: Re: Little Help - response w/PHOTO
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" <IrisLady@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 23:50:01 -0700

Hi Bob,
About 6 years ago, I had a seedling do the exact same thing. Someone back then - told me it was a 'Mosaic Virus of sorts' which results in almost teardrop-like markings. I was told that it's not common, and usually occurs only on white, Lavender, blue, and purple iris flowers. Below is a photo of my virus stricken seedling.
The virus can 1.) originate in the seed; 2.) can be picked it up in the soil; and also 3.) transmitted to the plant by aphids. (.....and it's hard to be certain exactly how it occurs for each infected plant)
I was given instructions to dig up and soak the rhizomes in bleach water for a good half hour,...... then replant it (when dry) in a different location all together, and eventually the virus would go away. The virus DID eventually go away, but it took about 2 years to do so.
I found this short listing online (see below) of Mosaic Viruses (at this link):
"Iris, Bulbous and Rhizomatous -- Viruses
Cause: Iris mild mosaic virus (IMMV) and Iris severe mosaic virus (ISMV) are problems for bulbous iris; Iris fulva mosaic virus (IFMV) is a problem for rhizomatous irises. All are in the potyvirus group. Transmission, by aphids, is nonpersistent. Bean yellow mosaic virus (BYMV) and Narcissus latent virus (NLV) have also been found. Less commonly found are Cucumber mosaic virus, Broad bean wilt virus, and Tobacco ringspot virus. "
I'm sure there are other scientific reports/information that can be found online as well. I hope this info helped.  And....... on another note:.....................HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!
~ Margie Valenzuela
Oro Valley, AZ.