Re: HYB: and more plicatas

  • Subject: Re: HYB: and more plicatas
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:08:57 -0400

Margie  --  Thanks to you, Betty and the others who have responded re these plicatas.  I'm sorry that my response is so slow, but it has finally stopped raining here after a month and a half, and I've been out digging, tilling and planting.  To answer some questions, the 05A series of plicatas is a cross of Tanzanian Tangerine X 01Z1.  01Z1 resulted from Royal Carnival X 93R6.  93R6 was YBT (a yellow bitone seedling resulting from a cross between Wabash and an unnamed Crossman yellow seedling) X Stepping Out.  I do not have a goal for the plicatas.  Although I have some general and some very specific goals for other types of irises, I confess that I sometimes just make a cross because I like a couple of flowers and want to see what they'll produce, and that's where these plicatas have come from.  01Z1 came from a deliberate and successful attempt to scale down 93R6, which was a very tall and widely branched plicata that had sparse bud count.  The 01Z1 progeny thus far, including the 05A series, still are mostly 6-bud plants.  I entered one of them, 05A18, as a seedling in the Regional show last month, where it drew many comments and predictions from other hybridizers that it would take "best seedling".  It didn't.  I was sure I knew why, but just to confirm it, I asked the judges afterwards.  As one of them responded, "If this had been an introduced variety, it would have taken queen of the show, but since it's a seedling . . " and at that point, we said in unison "You/we counted the buds!", and we had a good laugh.  If it lives long and prospers (as Spock would say) I may introduce it anyhow.

The red 0602 and the french vanilla over purple 052I2 came from Baltic Star X 01Z1.  --  Griff